4.27.2010

2 Weeks Down...

I find that it's somewhat depressing how much my posts now revolve around the unique brand of torture (i.e. diet) that I've chosen to inflict upon myself.  What can I say?  80% of activities for the average individual in my age bracket without children revolve around food and/or alcohol, neither of which I can really indulge in.  This past week was, by far and away, harder than the first week.  Perhaps it was a poor choice on my part to travel to the mecca of food and drink in excess so early on in my new lifestyle.  I'm proud to say I didn't cheat at all.  I felt like crap most of the time though.  I'm just not equipped to walk around Manhattan for hours on what little calories I get to ingest per day.  Not only that, but I'm not really able to stay awake for that long either.  I simply don't have the energy. 

Yesterday I had my week 2 weigh in.  The word "disappointed" doesn't even begin to explain how I felt.  I probably walked like 5 miles on Saturday.  I didn't cheat once.  I took all my stupid pills.  I watched as my friends and family ate some of my favorite foods while I munched on soy nuts and sipped on diet coke.  (P.S. that's hard.)  Anyway, my total poundage lost in week too was a lousy 3.3 lbs.  For those of you counting, that brings my total to 9.7 lbs down since 2 weeks ago. 

So where did I go wrong?

First let me start by saying that I think it's completely ridiculous the inconsistency in the helpfulness of people at the doctors office that I'm going to.  The first lady told me I'd lose 10 pounds my first week.  FAIL.  The second one failed to mention to me (despite the fact that I told her I was going to NYC and was worried I wouldn't be able to stay up long enough) that I should just get extra meal replacements for the extra hours that I need to stay up.  Instead, I chose to try and spread out my meals to ever 4 hours instead of every two.  BAD idea.  I felt horrible.  My speech was slurred, I felt nauseous, I couldn't concentrate, I was dizzy.  Oh, and she also failed to mention to me that there's a list of lean protiens that I can have instead of my meal replacements along with the serving sizes. Uh, all things that would have been good to know BEFORE I left to for NYC.  It sure would have been nice to be eating a small chicken breast and veggies instead of sitting there and feeling miserable while other people ate.

The third person I met with was very helpful.  She gave me the lean protien list in case there's a special occasion that I'd like to actually eat something other than a shake at.  She also told me that the most likely reasons that I didn't lose more this week are because I didn't eat enough or often enough for how long I was awake and therefore my body started thinking it should hold on to everything it gets.  She also said I probably didn't drink enough and maybe the flight made me retain some water as well. 

All I know is that 3.3 lbs sure doesn't seem worth it for what I had to endure this past weekend.  I really hope that things start to improve next week or I kind of think I'm over this whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment