1.24.2012

2012: A year in review (a bit prematurely)



I've been struggling with figuring out what the heck to blog about. As you know, I didn't blog much last year because honestly, I didn't have anything funny or positive to blog about.

So far, 2012 hasn't really given me anything to shout from the rooftops about either.

Let's seeeeee...

  • My grandmother passed away.
  • My great uncle passed away.
  • My close friend's grandfather passed away.
  • I found out adoption from India is basically an impossibility unless I'm willing to accept a child with serious medical issues or a child between the ages of 7 to 12.
  • My work spouse resigned, thereby leaving me sad widow.
  • I found out that the starvation diet of my past has essentially turned my adrenal system into a hot mess.
  • As a result, I've not eaten carbs in a month. That pretty much puts a damper on one's mood...seriously. On a positive note, my 33rd birthday is next week. The thing I'm looking forward to most is eating a Babycake. This no-carb thing is really putting a damper on my cupcake eating. On a less positive note, who knows what that amount of sugar is going to do to me. Oh well...death by cupcake is probably not the worst way to go :)
That being said, I've still been trying not to get too caught up in what's going wrong and instead, focus on what's been going right.

Let's seeeeee...
  • I've been trying to take better care of myself...Eating tons of protein and veggies. At this point, I've lost about 7 pounds in 4 weeks. Not awesome...but it's a step in the right direction, I guess. A nice spillover effect to eating healthier is that I've become quite experimental in the kitchen. It turns out that I'm not a half bad chef!
  • I'm trying to focus on being more active. My mom and dad gave me enough birthday money to put a significant dent in the price of a treadmill for our home. If there's a pricey piece of exercise equipment all up in my face every day, I'm hoping I will essentially eliminate any of my current excuses of not going to the gym.
  • I've connected with friends and coworkers who are also on their weight loss journey and as a result, have a pretty fantastic support system.
  • I've been researching what our other options are for being parents if we can't adopt from India. It's all very overwhelming but I still have hope. I may have to sell a kidney on the black market...but I have hope.
  • I've been thinking of all the great things I get to do because we're not parents. For example, we're going to Savannah to visit family and are considering a trip to either Hawaii or Cancun sometime this year.
  • I've been trying to change my perspective. In the grand scheme of things, I tend to be pretty hard on myself. I tend to think "WHY ME??!" a lot. I often catch myself thinking "Life is so unfair..." As of late, I try to catch myself in mid-pity party and think about all the things that come easy for me. I have a loving, supporting, and kind husband. My parents are extremely supportive as well. Hell, when I was home last week, my mom simply held me while I cried like a lunatic. Oh, and they still try to give me money. I have a wonderful job, a wonderful home, and friends that you should be jealous of. I mean seriously, they're pretty awesome.
I haven't written off 2012 completely yet. I still have high hopes for it.
I'll continue to work on finding truly funny things to blog about. In the meantime, I may dig down deep into the archives of my life to share funny/positive stories from my past.

3 comments:

  1. You're SO moving in the right direction!!! I'm excited to see where your journey takes you... and I feel blessed to be involved in a small part of it! :)

    Oh Savannah is AWESOME, by the way!! And Maui's even better!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete